Sunday 9 September 2012

25 Days and Still Walking - Cake and New Boots to Celebrate!



So, Friday was the official silver anniversary of the 100-Day Walking Challenge. Twenty five days of walking at least 30 minutes per day for me! The challenge has significantly contributed to my consistent weight loss of over 2 lb per week. I love the increased strength I feel with each step and that sense of well being a little exercise creates. AND I love, love, love my baggy pants that prove I have lost the 20 lb my scale says I have.

To celebrate Raouf and I went out and bought ourselves new walking shoes - trail boots, actually plus a membership at Mountain Equipment Co-operative! Now, we were surrounded by very fit hikers while contemplating our purchase and it was a little intimidating to inform my very helpful service rep. that I wasn't going to be attempting any major hikes in these boots - just something under 3 hours tops and would mostly be wandering around rough urban terrain but she still smiled and started pulling her suggestions out. Six boots later I decided to buy the first pair I tried on - isn't that always the way! These will come in handy when we take off to Indonesia, Malysia and Thailand next spring. We had thought Europe in Fall 2013 but due to the unrest in Tunisia (and that that was supposed to be part of the European/North Africa plan), we have opted to make Trip #2 taking us back to Asia.

We - well, mostly Raouf - have been pouring over travel books researching where to go, what to see, where to stay, how we will travel in country, and....well, you get the picture. I always find this part of the planning very overwhelming and usually opt out until Raouf narrows it down somewhat.

The best part is that I CAN WALK and climb stairs and generally enjoy the activity. Now how to keep myself going between now and then so I can drop another 25 LB and then figure out just exactly how I am going to buy summer clothes in my new size in March! I won't utter one word of complaint though - my one year journey to a healthier me will be completed.  I will be searching for another topic to blog about in a few short months. 

Also, I want to share a recipe Raouf developed for me (he is a retired baker after all)!. 1 piece of this cake is 4 delicious points on Weight Watchers. MMMMMM.

DATE CAKE
1.5 cups of dried dates;
1.5 cups of water;
2 Tblsp. of vegetable oil;
1 egg;
1 cup of Splenda;
1 1/3 cups of whole wheat flour;
1 tsp. baking soda;
1 tsp baking powder;
1 tsp vanilla;
1 tsp of both cinnamon & lemon zest.

Add water to dates: cook until soft. Add soda & cinnamon & lemon zest to date mixture. In a bowl, mix oil, Splenda, egg & vanilla; Combine all and mix with a spoon until combined. Pour into 8 X 8 pan sprayed with PAM. Bake for 30 minutes in 375 F. Yield: 12 pieces. You can drizzle some melted dark chocolate mixed with a little milk and Splenda on top if you wish but that would be extra points and, really, this cake is very moist. Enjoy! We did!

No comments:

Post a Comment